There are a number of foods you'll enjoy eating that can be safely shared with your dog, but there are also many that are poisonous to dogs. Unless you know for certain that a food is safe, it's best to stick to giving your dog food products specifically made for them. Even if you decide to only feed your four-legged friend dog food, dogs can do a pretty good job of getting into things they're not supposed to. So, it's important to know the signs of poisoning from foods commonly found in household kitchens. Here's an overview of four foods that can harm your dog:
Garlic, onions, leeks and any other vegetables belonging to the allium vegetable family are highly toxic to dogs. Ingesting even a small amount of these foods can harm your dog's red blood cells and digestive system. Damage to your dog's red blood cells can cause anaemia, which can leave your dog feeling extremely weak and prone to fainting. Irritation of the digestive system can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, which can lead to dehydration.
Currants are highly toxic and can quickly cause kidney failure in dogs that have eaten even a small quantity. Dogs that experience poisoning from currants need immediate treatment to save their kidneys, and without prompt treatment, this type of poisoning can be fatal. Signs your dog may have eaten currants include urinating more often, extreme fatigue, foul breath and vomiting.
Any dough that contains yeast is poisonous to dogs, so if you enjoy making bread or your own pizzas, keep the dough well out of your dog's reach while it's rising. It's not the yeast that's poisonous; it's the fermentation process that creates the problem for dogs. As the yeast reacts with the other ingredients in the dough, a form of alcohol is created as a by-product. This is harmless to humans, but when it's ingested by a dog, they can develop a rapid heart rate and have convulsions. Early signs of poisoning to look out for include disorientation and a drop in body temperature that will cause your dog to shiver.
Can your dog find your chocolate stash? Chocolate contains methylxanthines, which are natural chemical compounds that can be lethal to dogs. The darker the chocolate the higher the concentration of methylxanthines, and there's no safe chocolate for your dog to enjoy. Chocolate can cause your dog to develop pancreatitis and seizures. If your dog becomes hyperactive, starts vomiting and develops a rapid heartbeat, they may have got their paws on some chocolate.
If you suspect your dog has eaten any type of food that's not made for dogs, contact your vet surgery to determine the risk of poisoning. If you have small children at home, be especially vigilant at meal times to ensure they don't share their food with your dog.